The Unsaleable Policy Division
For the second round, you will be given a different public policy problem ahead of time. It might, again, be a real problem or a totally fictitious one. During recording, you have roughly 5 minutes to sell your solution to that problem to me.
For the second round only, the solution to this problem needs to be:
- actually deliverable and preferably grounded in some evidence (if you can find any!), and
- something people would never vote for in a million years
What you should do
You should prepare your solution in advance. Don’t prepare a verbatim script for yourself.
I will start by asking you to sum up your idea in a few sentences. I will then ask you some questions to get started based on that summary, and we’ll just have a chat about your idea for roughly 5 minutes.
Once you have finished your presentation, I will give you a score. You will be scored on the following criteria:
- wow good your presentation is
- the originality of the idea
- how practical the idea is
- whether I would personally vote for it
Each of these criteria are scored on a scale of 0 to 10 points. There are 40 points available in this round.
In this round, you will gain points if:
- your presentation is good
- your idea is original
- your idea will work
- and I wouldn’t personally vote for it